Sunday 6 May 2012

Frogs and Princes and Shit

'Once upon a time, in a land far away,
a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess
happened upon a frog as she sat contemplating
ecological issues
on the shores of an unpolluted pond
in a verdant meadow near her castle.
The frog hopped onto the Princess’s lap and said: 
Sweet Lady, I was once a handsome Prince,
until an evil witch cast a spell on me.
One kiss from you, however,
and I will turn back into the dapper young Prince that I am.
Then, my sweet, we can marry
and set up house in yon castle
where you can prepare my meals,
clean my clothes, bear my children,
and forever feel grateful and happy doing so.
That night, dining on a repast of lightly sauteed frogs’ legs,
The Princess chuckled to herself, and thought:
I don’t fucking think so.'

From 'I Don't Know How She Does It' by Allison Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment